Xamarin VS PhoneGap?
The surge of mobile development has raised the demand of various mobile application. However, this is not an easy task to do. For majority of the mobile apps development, different tools are used. However, for everything we need, different SDK and that is very important. The primary reason behind it is that different platforms of mobile application. As of now, there are three major different platforms IOS, Android and Windows. If you are creating an app that does not support any of them would be a mess. However, if you make apps with different SDKs then it will costly and time consuming as well. The only solution to this problem is the cross platforms for the apps. With the help of the platforms, we can make single app and then run it on multiple platforms.
Cross Platform Framworks
There are many cross platform framework available now. However, only few of them are worth of investing. Xamarin and Phonegap are two best cross platform frameworks available. Even though both the platforms have equal purpose but they have entirely different methodologies. Here are the detailed comparison between the two frameworks.
It is an open source framework that utilizes the Web APIs. The web application get stored in the native app shell. However, it allows the native shell to work on different platforms. The whole functionality works on a cloud based service ‘Built’. It can compile app in any platform with the installed SDK. You can use HTML5, CSS and JSP for the Phonegap.
- It is very simple to use.
- The apps are written as web pages that are relatively easier to code.
- It can work on all the major platforms like IOS, Android and Windows.
- Performance is low as the original piece of code remains in web app format and it is launched with web browser.
- Presence of fragmented libraries make the process difficult.
- The quality of the app remains dependent on the web view.
Xamarin works on its own IDE. It is generally works on the .Net Framework with C#. The apps are made by using the APIs and UIs of different platforms. The Xamarin platform comes with the Xamarin.Form platform that can share and convert the UIs of different platforms. The Xamarin developers need to use the C# and .Net to compile it on different platforms.
- The presence of Test Cloud helps it to test the apps automatically.
- 100% code reuse is possible with the framework.
- MVC and MVVM patterns are supported.
- It even supports Google Glass, Android Wear and Firephone.
- It supports IOS, Android, Windows and Blackberry platforms.
- It has greater load time.
- Some Android UIs are not accessible.
- Doesn’t share the code with native HTML5 web Development.
Xamarin and Phonegap are very effective and worthy frameworks for mobile apps. The cross platform frameworks do not only reduce your time, effort and cost but also make the compiling interesting. However, both of them have different specifications and pros and cons. The use of the frameworks depend on the requirements, scope and resource availability. However, it can be said that Xamarin developers feels much easier to code than the phonegap in terms of technology.